Sunday, November 6, 2011

Beer-Butt Chicken



I haven't posted anything in a while, and it's been forever since I posted a recipe to something, so since I'm SUCH  a badass in the kitchen, I decided to let you all in on the awesomeness that is our Sunday dinner.

Beer-butt chicken and roasted potatoes of amazingness.

I've been cooking, literally since I was 5 years old, since my mom left and my dad was on his own with 4 kids and a fulltime overtime job. 
I started out making easy things, like macaroni and cheese, hot dogs and spaghetti, then graduated to boxed foods like hamburger helper, boxed casseroles and the like. As I got older, I started getting more adventurous with my cooking. Buying things I had no idea how to make, so I could figure it out and teach myself more and more recipes. My sister Erica taught me how to make a lot of things, so did my grandma, and even my dad. Chili, any Italian food, soups, casseroles, whatever. But there were two things I never knew how to make, that seemed super daunting to me, enough that I didn't even try to make them until this year. 
Steak, and a whole chicken.
Steak is understandable, if you don't have a grill that shit can be hard. But baking a whole chicken? That's so easy! To most people, it seemed anyway. It's a standard dinner for every housewife in the country, and yet it just seemed so hard.
How long do you cook it? At what temperature? Etc. 
This year I finally mastered steak without a grill, and then decided to take on chicken.

To my surprise and slight dismay, it is super easy.

What you need:
A whole chicken, 3-5 lbs.
Minced garlic, salt and pepper, sage, poultry season, basil and oregano
3/4 can of beer
Butter
A roasting pan, aka a casserole dish, about 13x9 size

Remove the giblets and whatnot from inside the chicken, rinse in cold water inside and out, pat dry with paper towels
Lay the chicken breast down in the pan, and slather the back with butter
Flip the sucker over and slather the top {breast side} and don't forget the legs and wings
Grab a glob {thats a very technical cooking term} of minced garlic, and rub that on too. Use your hands. It's fun.
Season her up with the above seasonings to taste, but give it a good coat so it permeates the skin and seasons the meat. 
Open the can of beer and pour out 1/4 of it {if you're lame} or drink that 1/4 if you're me.
Shove the can up the chicken's ass, open end first.
Now set aside and prepare your potatoes.

Potatoes: What you need
6 medium-large size red potatoes {I like red because they have more vitamins and minerals than brown and they're better for you}
1 packet of dry onion soup mix
salt and pepper
1/3 cup olive oil

Wash potatoes
Slice them in half, then cut those halves into quarters
Dump into a large bowl
Pour olive oil over them, add the onion soup mix and mix together until all the potatoes are well coated
Salt and pepper to taste

Dump the potato mixture into your roasting pan all around the chicken, but make sure they are in a single later, not all piled up on each other. 
If there is any oil/onion soup mix stuff left at the bottom of the bowl, drizzle that over the top of the chicken.

Throw into a preheated oven at 400, and bake a 3 pounder for 65 minutes, adding 5 minutes for each additional pound.

Enjoy the delicious smell while it cooks.

When it's done, let it cool for about 5 minutes, then carefully remove the beer from the chickens ass. The can will be very hot.
Slice that shit up, and enjoy. 

This shit is goooood.

Happy Sunday!



No comments:

Post a Comment