Monday, May 13, 2013

May Weekly Dares: Chill, Bitch


I love my kids.
They're sweet, and love-able, and have the most precious little faces that you can't help but kiss the living fuck out of.
Being their mom is truly awesome.
Except for sometimes when they're not sleeping and actually awake, wandering around the house whining and breaking my shit and refusing to eat every single thing I cook for them.
I have a bad habit of yelling at my kids.
My neighbors must either hate me or think I am the worst mom ever, because they probably hear me scream at my precious little cherubs roughly fifty times a day {who has time to count when they're laying the smack-down?}
To be honest, I don't like it. 
Yelling is ugly and scary and it makes me feel awful and sick to my stomach. 
I hated being yelled at when I was a kid, and every time I yell across the house for my angel babies to GETBACKINBEDRIGHTTHISSECONDORSOHELPMEGOD, I just feel like the worst.
So this week, no yelling at my kids.
If I can't get them to stop being insane without yelling, then I will resort to spraying them with the hose.
Kidding.
I'll force myself to get a little more creative and try to find ways to get through to them without scaring the literal piss out of them.
Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. It's so hard to NOT yell, especially when you feel that they are not listening and that you just want to get your point across to them. I live in an apartment here in NYC where the walls are thin, and the neighbors can hear everything. One morning, after I had just yelled at my daughter for taking so long to get ready for school, I opened my front door and saw my neighbor standing there. He had a look on his face like "how could you yell at this sweet little girl?" I was truly ashamed. Since then, I have been mindful of the volume of my voice and I remember too that how I act will be how she acts when she is older. I can't have a kid that grows up thinking that it is ok to yell at someone just to get her point across. Ahhh... the joys and trials of parenthood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggle the most with yelling in the morning too, when they're moving so slow and my son seemes to be doing everything in the world EXCEPT getting dressed. But then I remember they're probably just as sleepy and sluggish as I am in the morning, and being yelled at not long after waking up would honestly ruin my day. It's hard, but we do our best :) I'm sure you're a wonderful mommy!

      Delete