Friday, August 8, 2014

It's my birthday and yes I would like tots with that, please.

Twenty-Seven & Still OK by Matt Naylor I made this in honor of my 27th birthday. Stay tuned next week for a time lapse process video of ...

Today I turn 27.
People keep asking me how I feel about it, like I'm supposed to feel something about this completely random age. I mean, I get having feelings about landmark birthdays, like 10, 12, 13, 16, 18, 21, 30, 40, etc.
But 27?
What happens at 27 that I don't know about, that people are so anxious to see me react to??
Is this the age when ordering tater tots on your cheeseburger officially becomes classified as making poor choices or something? 
I don't get it.

Honestly, I don't feel much about being another year older. 27 doesn't feel like that big of a deal to me, except for that 30 is now only 3 years away, and that's really only weird to me because the year I turn 30 is also the year Jackson turns 10 and Lainie turns 14, and I still haven't wrapped my head around having a high school age child when I turn 30.

But back to my point.

It's another year.
I'm excited because I love birthdays, but outside of that it's really not something I haven't seen coming for like...the last 11 months.
Most of the time when I say "I can't believe it's my birthday already", what I really mean is not that I'm freaking out about getting older, or that I can't believe I'm X age, it's just that I can't believe the current year is already in the month of August, and now Christmas is only 4 months away.

In truth I probably spend more time thinking about Christmas than I do about growing up, or aging.

For my birthday, I'm going tonight to see Fall Out Boy play live with Bill - a band that has been in my top five bands to see live list since I was 17 years old - and then tomorrow morning I'm having birthday brunch with my best friends.

I'm not going out and getting hammered.
I'm not drinking alcohol out of a plunger, skinny dipping in someone else's apartment pool, or getting kissed by any Hawaiian US Airways baggage handlers that I don't know.

I'm just going to do fun stuff with people that love me, and that's really all I care about.
Even if I am almost 30.
Even if I am getting crows feet, and shouldn't be ordering tots on my burgers anymore.

It's my birthday, and I'll eat whatever the fuck I want.

Happy Friday.







No comments:

Post a Comment