Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Paleo Friendly Enchilada Chicken Boobies


Just an FYI, the soundtrack for preparing this meal should be something along the lines of Taylor Swift's Fearless.

For those of you who don't know, I recently started eating the Paleolithic Diet. If you don't know what that is, you can find more info here. Essentially it means eating like a Hunter Gatherer, not an agriculturalist. Fruit, veggies, nuts, meat, fish, poultry and healthy fats. No potatoes, no beans, no grain, wheat, flour, corn and obviously no bread of any kind.

Since starting this diet, I have lost an awesome amount of weight, and haven't really had any problems with being too hungry or having crazy sugar cravings. I honestly don't even really miss bread that much, except when I'm super pissed off or upset, because really we are addicted to bread like we are addicted to cigarettes and booze. True story.

One of the only things I have really, truly missed since giving up all those foods is Enchiladas. My chicken enchiladas are famous in.....my house with me and my kids, and I used to make them like weekly. I used flour tortillas, which I know is so totally white of me, but I did, and we would gobble them up like little fatties and ask for more.
In an act of Sarah-like rebellion, and a stalkeresque desire for enchilada goodness, I decided to invent Paleo Friendly Chicken Enchiladas.
Here's how:

What you need:
  • Boneless skinless chicken breast, washed and trimmed
  • A very sharp knife
  • 1 tub of Santa Fe Style cooking cream (with the cream cheese)
  • Shredded cheddar or Colby Jack cheese
  • 1 can diced green chili
  • 2 cans of red or green enchilada sauce
  • Sour cream (the sour cream technically isn't Paleo, but I make an exception for a small dollop of it)
Preheat oven to 375
Rinse the chicken breast, trim off any lumpy or dangling pieces or any fat, and butterfly down the center, long ways, until it opens like a hot dog bun. DO NOT CUT IT COMPLETELY IN HALF! Mix the above ingredients, except the sour cream, and spoon into the little "envelope" you've made out of your chicken breasts. Close them, and secure with a toothpick if you do so desire.
Place in the bottom of a 13x9 glass casserole dish that has been sprayed with a light coat of Pam.
Repeat this process over and over until you have used up all your chicken breasts.
Cover the chicken with the enchilada sauce and remaining shredded cheese, and bake for about 45 minutes, if you have 1.5 lbs of chicken.
Serve with sour cream and a side veggie of your choice, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment