Saturday, May 26, 2012

Read This: The Unbearable Lightness of Being


I just finished The Unbearable Lightness of Being, by Milan Kundera.
This is one of the better books I've read recently.
So good in fact, that I read it in two days, which is rare for me because I'm always reading more than one book at a time, putting one down in favor for the other, then getting bored and switching back. 
It can take weeks sometimes for me to finish a book.
But this one was read, cover to cover in no time flat.
I loved it.
I loved the womanizing but somehow equally sensitive and endearing doctor, Thomas. I loved the dedicated and enduring Tereza. I didn't care much for Sabina, the slutty artist, because I saw her as not only a ginormous slut, but also bordering on psychotic, not in the fun way, and she reminded me too much of this girl I was very best friends with, all through high school and for some years afterward, who did a lot of the same callous and uncaring things that Sabina did to men, just because she could, just because it satiated something in her at the time, just because she didn't care enough not to.
The chapters about her made me angry.
There were lines and phrases, sometimes entire paragraphs in this book that absolutely took my breath away.
Sometimes I'd be in the middle of a chapter that seems to be redundant and unnecessary, about to lose hope in the book, when all of a sudden it would finish off in one perfect, elegant and heartbreakingly beautiful line, and I'd be sucked right back in.
If you're a feminist, or have some serious anger toward men I wouldn't read this book, because you really have to work to see past Thomas' womanizing and bad behavior. You have to try really hard to see him objectively, and exactly how he is presented in the book without your idea of right and wrong getting in the way.
If you can do that, this one will break your heart, and then keep it forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment