Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day!

Pinned Image

Happy Valentine's Day, everybody!
As most of you probably know by now, I love this holiday.
Actually, let's be real: I love all holidays.
Christmas? OMG YES.
Easter? I WILL DYE ALL THE EGGS.
Flag Day? WHY. NOT.
Valentine's day is such a happy holiday, because it's an entire day devoted to love. Sure, it's commercialized and contrived, but what holiday isn't at this point? I think more people should get over themselves and just enjoy the holiday for what it is: a good excuse to say nice things and do nice things and eat a bunch of chocolate.
I am trying pretty hard not to be depressed about being single, though.
Last Valentine's Day was pretty spectacular, and no matter what I do today it's probably not going to measure up or be the same, and shit like this makes me miss Bill even though our relationship was like a swirling vortex of pure evil towards the end there.
Still, I'm focusing on the positive and trying to remember that I still have the little Valentine's traditions that I do with the kids, and I have plenty of friends to do nice things for, and at the end of the day I can always buy myself flowers and chocolate and have a dance party in my living room for one if I really want to.
So it's going to be ok.

Every year I try to do something special for the kids, and especially for Lainie. I want her to be the kind of person who makes a big deal out of little days and finds any excuse she can to make things a party or a tradition or something special. This year I bought her roses, a small bear and a card that hopefully makes her cry with love. Jackson got a stuffed animal and a box of candy because he can't read, and even my dad got a special treat. Because it's Valentine's Day, and on Valentine's Day you show your love. Even for the emotionally unstable person who lives in your house and is always driving you crazy with his paranoid and irrational political opinions, and leaving toast crumbs in the butter.
So be sure to tell everyone you love that you do in fact love them today. Even if your relationship with them is strained or they wear flip flops to like the most inappropriate occasions.
Love is love, and family is family, and you should never ever pass up a chance to tell people what they mean to you.

Happy Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment