Monday, July 8, 2013

Things Change

So I promised I would tell all of you what the possibly huge, life changing things I maybe had on the horizon actually were once it was resolved, and here I am.
The potentially huge thing I was maybe going to do, was buy my house.
We've lived here for a year and a half now, and I love this house. 
It's the first home I've ever had that I really loved.
The neighborhood, the area, the friends the kids have made across the street...all of those thing ice the cake.
I would stay here for many years if I had my way.
But, I also want to be able to make the house mine. To paint the walls and update the kitchen and change the little cosmetic things that I really don't like.
I want to put money and time and love into making this my absolute haven.
Problem is, I am not doing that to someone else's house, and that's exactly what this is for as long as we're renting. 
As luck would have it, my landlord contacted me and asked if I was still interested in buying it, like I had mentioned I was a few months ago.
My response was a more polished version of ...Ummmm of fucking course!
So with the help of some people way smarter than me, I presented him with a very reasonable and fair offer.
He called me yesterday to let me know that while he appreciated the time and effort I put into the offer, he decided he didn't want to sell for another couple years.
I bawled.
Not on the phone with him, but immediately after hanging up. It wasn't my finest moment, but in my defense I had already had a very long day, and what he did was kind of a dick move.
He knows how much I love this house, and how emotionally invested I was into buying a home for the first time.
I would actually be the first person in my immediate family to own a home.
It was a big deal.
Anyway, now that I'm not doing that, I am a little sad, but I also feel like it gave me some clarity and perspective.
I know now that I am at a point in my life where I want to buy a house.
I want a home of my own.
I want to put work into something and watch it grow.
For those of you who know me personally, these are pretty big revelations.
I'm known for being spontaneous and rash. Not for buying houses and working in finance.

I guess things change.

No comments:

Post a Comment